As I am sitting to write this update, I am overwhelmed with how much has already happened in the past 6 days here in Pogradec. Bethany and I arrived on Thursday and the Cramer's showed us the place we will stay at for the summer.
The house is owned by a sweet older woman who is allowing us to rent the second floor, which is where she usually stays. It is furnished and there is a little kitchen. We have gotten used to sleeping in an Albanian bed, hanging our clothes on a clothesline and making food for our guests with whatever silverware we can find. Yesterday we made chocolate chip cookies for the girls bible study with a small fork and a spoon. :)
Yesterday, Bethany and I had the opportunity to go to coffee with a few girls who we have come to love. Two of them have been regularly attending Kristine's Bible study and youth group and the other one has been very intrigued. She is from a Muslim family. Her father is a Muslim, yet has told her she has the freedom to choose what she wants. During our time at coffee, she asked some questions and at one point said "If I was an atheist this would be easier because then I wouldn't have to completely turn around and change." She asks many questions and every day that we see her, she has a new questions. In those that we don't know we have the chance to point her to the pastor of the youth group here, who has a background with Muslim belief. This girl is only 14, yet she is so desiring to know the truth. In Kristine's Bible Study on Tuesday, she was listening intently to what Kristine was sharing on John 13, where Jesus washes the feet of the disciples. Afterwards, she told me she couldn't believe that Jesus was so kind and humble, but still God. Please pray for her and the other girls, who each have stories and hearts to know God.
Some are easier to speak with because they speak great English, for others, there is another girl who will translate. Through both means, the Word of God is being shared.
Here is a picture of the girls we get to hang out with every day.
I am writing this and still amazed at how quickly the Lord has allowed us to invest in these girls and how open they have been.
Often, when I come to update the blog, I am overwhelmed with the many different things to share and how to convey accurately and appropriately the various opportunities and stories that occur each day. So I am going to work to write less, but more frequently.
Can you pray for the girls here, that they would continue to ask questions and that ultimately, they would come to know their Savior?
Can you pray for the youth at the church that know God? Pray that they would desire to become leaders and share the gospel with the many kids here in Pogradec.
This is a sweet friend, who has been faithful to translate for us and those that don't speak much English. She has an incredible story and is learning that God can use her gift of translation to share the gospel with many people. She is also growing in an understanding of who Jesus is and how he lived while he walked the earth. She wants her friends to believe so badly, but she is finding the importance of studying God's word, sharing it with them, and praying for them. This is a picture from the hike we took recently with the youth group. Behind us is Lake Ohrid and Pogradec.
Thank you for your support and your prayers!
Kate
No comments:
Post a Comment